Friday, March 26, 2010

Ole's Guacamoles

My Facebook friends know I've been sampling what I call 'Appilacia-Mex' in search of something to make me feel closer to Southern California.  Unfortunately for Mike and I, our sampling has included cheese laden beans and rice, unfried chimichangas with weird white sauce and ground beef enchiladas and tacos.  Mike gave up --- but I persisted! (And all the locals kept telling me to go to Ole's)

I realize Ole's may not fall into the "artisan, small batch product" category.  But its MY blog!  And I'm excited about it!

You are looking at Carnitas.  Yummy ones, too! 
And that is chunky guacamole, with bits of fresh onion, tomato and cilantro.
As it should be!

The service was amazing.  The chips are fresh and housemade, but not Las Barcas good.  Sorry.  The salsa is of the roasted variety (my favorite) with fresh cilantro added, but little heat.  They also have a bean dip (which may be part of the 'Appilacia-Mex' or I missed it in my thirty-some years living in Tucson/San Francisco/Long Beach/Huntington Beach) with a great chile bite.

My. Beer. Came. With. A. Lime.

The Carnitas meal I ordered was recommended and was cooked to perfection.  Lean pork, deep-fried.  Fresh pico de gallo.  Shredded lettuce.  The tiniest bit of queso on the beans.  Red chile seasoned rice.  Fresh.  Simple.  Well seasoned.

They had fish tacos on the menu.  Baja style, even!  And a dish with a mole sauce.  So I'm super excited about my next visit.  Can't wait to take Mike there.  (Can someone expidite us some Las Barcas Chips?)

Viva Mexico in WNC!

Ole's Guacamoles
100 S Ridgeway Rd
Black Mountain, NC 28711
(828) 669-0550

2 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! Who would have thought NC could have such great Mexican food!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work Jenn....you found some good mexican food!! And you DID miss the Mexican restaurant in HB with bean dip. Don Ramon's on Goldenwest & Edinger, up there across the street from Murdy Park near Home Depot. Next time you're in town, give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete