Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Farm & Sparrow Bakery (Marshall)

I'm SOOOO excited!!!  I just had the greatest croissant in my life. Yes, I do travel to France, and Austria (origin), too! But, unless I'm just overdue for a trip (entirely possible), Farm and Sparrow's croissants are magical.

Let me tell you first that after buying a loaf of their market bread to test and just grabbing the croissants on a whim, I was already thinking I was going to skip over talking about an already well known regional brand.

Then, as I opened the bag of two croissants, I noticed they were very dark in color on the outside, almost burnt looking. I was really pissed I didn't get to see the merchandise before buying. Then I took a bite. Oh my. Oh wow! I can't even take a picture of the one I ate, cause it was so gone, so fast.


Mmmm.  Had to go back for more so I could get the pic.

The texture on the outside is light and flaky to the touch, but baked to a darker color, which turns out to be almost a caramelized bottom. The inside is denser than expected, but still layered and moist. The flavor is more about the grain taste of the flour, rather than the butter. If anything, the butter or whatever fat they use, is milder than I would expect. Eating it was an experience that I was not expecting, but I have to tell you that if you are in the area, buy these croissants and if you are visiting, you are getting them for breakfast.

I wonder if Mike will even get a taste of the second one. Hmmm.

I bought mine at Earth Fare Market in Asheville.

2 comments:

  1. Mike did eat the other one and he said he tasted the butter quite a bit. Its an excellent butter then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! Do they just have plain ones, or do they do a chocolate version or Ham & Cheese one too?

    ReplyDelete