Monday, March 22, 2010

Black Mountain Chocolate Factory (Swannanoa)

While I'd been eager to see the factory operations, the weather just hasn't been cooperating with my schedule, so I gave in and bought some Black Mountain Chocolate Factory offerings to taste and offer my guests this late winter.  Hopefully I can make arrangements with owner Dave to post some pics on the production process, soon.

I tried the Tasting Drops, which are organic (exception being the Venezuelan) and 70% cacao; the only two other ingredients being organic cocoa butter and organic sugar.  Three flavors are available, originating from Venezuela (my test), Nicaragua & Dominican Republic.  David produces small batches using small batches of beans, so the taste reflects the distinct beans of the origin.

When you open the tin, you get a little tasting guide, which tells you "Don't Chew It!"  Too late!  But the second drop gets the attention it deserves.  You hold the drop in your mouth and let it melt, tasting the strong roasted flavor of the cacao.  Yum!  This is how I prefer my chocolate to be served.  Its not very sweet, but still rich.  You can appreciate the flavors and the chocolate itself.  Its more like savoring fresh roasted coffee than eating candy.

I'm going to look for some of his other products this year, but I definitely recommend the Tasting Drops.  I keep mine with my coffee and they have lasted quite some time.

I bought mine at Black Mountain Natural Foods.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jennifer,

    Thanks for the great post! I'm glad you were able to find the chocolate and have enjoyed it. I like it best with a good cup of coffee too, melts faster. The invitation to come out for a personal tour still stands. I'm giving them by appointment now, instead of the Friday open house. Just send me an email when you have the time. Also just want to be correct, the cacao from Venezuela is the only one not organic. I do use organic cane sugar and organic cocoa butter in all of my chocolate though.

    Thanks again, look forward to seeing you.

    Best,
    David Mason
    Founder & Chocolate Maker
    Black Mountain Chocolate

    ReplyDelete