Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Dynamite Roasting Company (Black Mountain)

Yay! Our first adventure! Emma and I were on our way back from the new house to our rental today when I decided to stop at the local coffee roaster in Black Mountain.

It’s on the highway just as you enter town coming from Swannanoa, so I pass it almost every day and almost crash trying to sniff the incredible aroma. Housed in a cute little red trimmed cottage, it sits between a mobile chef trailer (run by a former local executive restaurant chef) and a seasonal hot dog stand (looks promising for those who eat them...I don't), all connected by a gravel drive.  Lots of tables and chairs on the back porch for warmer weather.

As you enter the cottage, you see the six foot roaster, looming right in front of you.  Tables and chairs are littered around the monster.  We must have hit the 'un-coffee' hour, because Em and I were the only customers.  A few minutes later an older lady came in to "find out what was going on here" (coffee?) and a man came in to get a refill in his own coffee mug (he was pretty excited about the Sumatra).

So the menu has about 10 selections of beans by the pound, mostly free trade and organic certified.  After one sniff in the jar, I chose the Suplicar Clemencia Dark Roast; their most popular, I was told.  This coffee seriously smells so good, I think I'll buy some just to scent my house! I'm sniffing the bag as I write.  I want some now, but I decided to get beans and wait for the moving truck to bring my grinder on Friday...  So, Emma and I will be visiting tomorrow morning for a cup.  My plan is to work my way down the list and never buy coffee from the grocery store again.  If you visit, I will be taking you here!

Chatting up one of the owners' wives, Margaret, I found out that her husband and his friend are Old Fort locals who decided they couldn't find a local cup of coffee to their liking and decided to roast their own.  And thank goodness for them!

You can order by the pound from their online store.  Or wait for Christmas 2010.

1 comment:

  1. I'm wanting a cup of Suplicar Clemencia Dark Roast NOW! Can't wait to visit them when I come to visit in March.
    Grandma Baba

    ReplyDelete