Wednesday, March 24, 2010

OakMoon Farm & Creamery (Bakersville)

I love goat cheese. Not just because I'm allergic to the other kind, but more for the light whipped texture and subtle flavors of the fresh chevre and the robust cream of the aged version. My favorite salad recipe is a simple roasted beat with chevre and balsamic vinaigrette. For this reason, I am on the hunt for the best flavors and processes of goat milk creameries in the area.


Wandering through the Grove Arcade, I found a cheese shop that turns out to be the same cheese shop I shopped at in the WNC Farmer Market a few weeks earlier. The gentleman there was extremely helpful and I highly recommend that location for service! I explained my interest in finding local creameries and he suggested a few yummies. I ended up with two OakMoon goat cheeses.


1) Mountain Mediterranean, which are labneh-style hand-shaped balls of goat cheese seasoned with herbs, garlic and drenched in extra virgin olive oil. Now I love labneh. Love to make it, love to eat it. This cheese was seasoned well, with fresh herbs, but it was just a bit too mild for me and not as fresh as my own. I imagine it was meant not to overwhelm the subtleties of the cheese. I liked it, but...
...the

2) Sweet Chevre, is a fresh spread offered in various fruit flavors; I bought orange.  Ohhhhh yeah!  Its like whipped cream cheese, but really fresh and tangy with real fruit.  The orange is excellent.  I cannot wait to try the other flavors. 

Usually I would have guessed I'd prefer the savory over sweet, but if you are looking for the right spread for a tea or ladies luncheon, you cannot go wrong with the Sweet Chevre.  In general, the OakMoon cheeses had more tang than other goat cheeses I've tried in the area so far.

I bought mine at The Big Cheese at the Grove Arcade.

No comments:

Post a Comment