Thursday, June 10, 2010

Foothills Family Farms

My lovely neighbor, Rose, tipped me off to this jewel when she told me that Black Mountain’s Johnny B switched gears this season from operating his Sprouts CafĂ© to having a Wednesday afternoon Sprouts Market. A small affair, with just a few complimentary vendors, you can buy all you need for a fresh, local grown dinner. (Try the NC caught fish Johnny sells. It has been an education on Eastern aquatic life!)


Our favorite find of the market is Foothills Family Farms’ pork shoulder roast. It is not the most expensive cut of meat and, when prepared, not the most distinguished, but it gets a 9 on the Mike eating noise meter. I slow cooked mine with two cans of Coca Cola and a little last minute prep to make a tender, caramelized pulled pork that beats anything at any restaurant I’ve had so far. Simple cooking with an excellent piece of pork is the key!

Frozen pork sholder in the slow cooker with two cans of coke. Cook on low for 6 hours.

Pull the pork from bone and fat.  Add fat and juice to pan for reduction, till glaze forms.


Add drained glaze into pulled pork.
I usually refrigerate over night and remove the seperated fat.
I’ve tested this recipe twice, so I know the first shoulder was not a fluke.

Foothills Family Farms is made up of a coalition of Old Fort family farms who "believe that by providing fresh, sustainably grown foods we can significantly contribute to a better quality of life for our farmers, consumers, neighbors and land." I’ve seen them at Sprouts Market on Wednesdays 3-6pm and at the Black Mountain Tailgate Market 8am - noon.

I bought mine at Sprouts Market in Black Mountain Wednesdays 3-6 pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment