Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Goodnight Brothers Country Ham

On a trip up to Boone a few weeks ago, we were told to stop in at the Dan'l Boone Inn.  Yes, its touristy, but we are still tourists and we were trying to expose our Euro guest to Southern/Appalacian/Country.  So why not stop at the home of Daniel Boone, Appalachian State University and Goodnight Brothers Country Ham for a big southern comfort food extravaganza?

The Inn serves the ham inside buttermilk biscuits.  Mike loved these things!  He thought the ham biscuits were the most wonderful thing he's tasted so far.  I could tell because there were a lot of 'Mmmmms' and 'Ohhhhhhs.'  (Coming from the midwest, he appreciates this cuisine over my Northern California vegitarian cooking.)  Definitely salty, but so flavorful.  I am not a ham fan - I will eat this ham, though. So I bought some at the Inn's little shop.


Simple instructions are to griddle each slice a few seconds on each side.  Break the slice into smaller pieces and stuff them in the buiscut.  I made my own drop biscuts and the duos were gone by noon.  I had one.


A well distributed product, with multiple brands in the region, Goodnight Brothers Country Ham is a new and wonderful WNC find for our family.

I bought mine at the Dan'l Boone Inn Gift Shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment