Thursday, April 15, 2010

French Broad Chocolates

So, Tuesday Mike and I celebrated our 8th wedding anniversary. As we are still trying to lock down a mid-week babysitting situation, we saved the fine dining for the weekend. Mike, instead, planned a family oriented night ‘in’, spent sampling some of his French Broad Chocolate favorites.

We have visited The French Broad Chocolate Lounge as a family, enjoying their assortment of chocolates, brownies, cakes, cheese plates, local beers and French press coffee. My sister, Viki, and I even spent a girl’s lunch, there, doing some damage to our blood sugar levels. Mike spent quite a bit of time tasting the local Chocolatier’s offerings, during his few months of bachelorhood last year. The Lounge is a must on the Asheville visitors’ tour.

Check out the owner’s back-story on their website. They decided to own their own cacao plantation and cafĂ© in Costa Rica for a few years, then searched for the perfect town to open their next venture, ending up in Asheville. They focus on quality suppliers and community ties.

So the whole reason I’m featuring French Broad Chocolate here is not actually for a chocolate, but because of the best cookie I think I have ever experienced: the chocolate dipped ginger cookie. Mike repeatedly told me that I HAD to try this ginger cookie, but I’d kind of overdone ginger during my morning sickness period, and it had sadly lost much of its appeal. Let me also be frank; he’s my husband and I only really catch half of the ‘advice’ he throws out. You won’t hear me say this often, but HE WAS RIGHT!

Chocolate Dipped Ginger Cookie is a 'best of'
at an Asheville 'best of' shop

Yes, Mike was right about something. This cookie is remarkable! Crispy on the outside, you hit a chewy moist center as your teeth sink in. The ginger spice first tickles your tongue, then travels to your nose and sinus. It’s not overwhelming or really hot, like some ginger connoisseurs seek (though I like spicy-hot ginger). This is a mild cookie, with gingerbread complexity. They must use a quality molasses, as the cookie is not overly sweet. It reminds me of a good oatmeal cookie that leans to the snack category, rather than dessert. It becomes dessert, however, when you factor in the half dip of dark chocolate!!! Again, not too sweet, the chocolate coating adds more exotic flavor to the ginger.

I split my cookie with Emma. Mike refused to share even before the first bite. Unfortunately, our daughter has become a fan of fine foods (will probably order the lobster as soon as she can read a menu, like her Uncle Matt) and she screamed for more. She looooves this cookie as much as Mike and I do and I see I’ll have to stock our pantry with them whenever I can get to the French Broad Chocolate Lounge.  I really wish I hadn't split my cookie.  I think I have to drive over there now and get more.

More Gookie!! More Cacklate!!

I bought mine at The French Broad Chocolate Lounge, downtown Asheville.

No comments:

Post a Comment